Saturday, August 15, 2015

Main Street Reunion 2015.

The 2015 Main Street Reunion Car Show was held today.  I love this event. I mean, what is there NOT to love about chrome (lots of it), tailfins, hood ornaments, bench seats and fluffy dice.  Oh yeah!  I wish my English family could have been here this year, but maybe next...
There were quite a few stand out cars for me this year; a Screaming Mimi-red 1957 Ford T-bird, a sky blue 1954 Chevrolet pickup truck and a jet-black 1967 Chevelle SS 396.  All very nice cars.
But my favourite car at this year's event was a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air that had not, as yet, been restored to its former glory.  This photograph does not do justice to the richness of the patina that the passage of some 60 years have bestowed upon this car - it is uniform and quite lovely.  No doubt with some TLC, and a bucket load of money, this Bel Air will once again be the shiny, eye-catching beauty it was when it first rolled off the production line.  I sort of like it now.
Vroom, vroom!

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

I've always found something appealing about patina; when as a young fella I used to explore, I often found crumbling old cars in the fields and woods of the countryside! Some with trees growing out of them, and some with robin's nests.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: It seems a shame that the vehicles of which you speak were left to rust out (especially in that east coast humidity: Cali cars just don't rust like that), but becoming a nesting site for robins is a nice secondary use for an old car or pickup.

Thud said...

just clear coat it and leave it as it is.

Vinogirl said...

Thud: I liked the way the paint had oxidised, but I bet this old Bel Air will look just beautiful with a new shiny, colourful coat.