Saturday, April 02, 2016

This is Anfield.

After finishing a nice plate of Scouse, I asked Thud how Liverpool (the football club) were doing in their match against Tottenham Hotspur.  (It is a tradition of my English family to have Scouse on Saturday and then watch the footy results.)  "Well, you can find out for yourself," Thud said, "Come on."  What?  Yes, Thud was taking me to the match.  A quick drive into Liverpool, Anfield to be exact, and I found myself on the most hallowed of grounds: the LFC stadium.  (Seating capacity 44,741 + one Vinogirl.)
Not without some major bother, my sister in law, Mrs Thud, had managed to procure a couple of tickets to this evening's match.  What a surprise!  I was in a bit of a state of shock, walking through the streets of Liverpool, past La Serenissma's recently demolished grammar school (very sad), until I finally parked my bum in my seat and realised I was actually at the game.
And a great game it was.  The end result may have been a 1-1 draw, but it was a very entertaining match.  From the rousing rendition at the outset of 'You'll Never Walk Alone' to the standing ovation at the conclusion of the match that the Liverpool squad received from The Kop, and every other person that bleeds Liverpool Red in the audience, I was enthralled by the whole experience.  And then I sneaked down to the pitch and took this photograph from the corner.  Goal!

3 comments:

Thud said...

Twas a cracker of a day!

Trubes said...

How lovely and what a surprise.
Glad you enjoyed your trip home,

'You can take the girl out of Liverpool,
but you can't Liverpool out of the girl'.

Do you make Scouse when you're in the States?
I do hope so!
Mr Vinoman must not be spared the joy of a large
plate of steaming hot Scouse and a big chunk of
Nana's home made crusty bread, pickled red cabbage,
HP Sauce
and beetroot in Sarsons Malt Vinegar...
What Joy!

Cheers,
Di..(Liverpool).

PS We usually have Scouse on Thursdays before
fish fridays... Aye! we Scousers love our traditions.




Vinogirl said...

Thud: GREAT day!

Trubes: I had a great trip, thanks for asking.
I do make Scouse, now and again, over here (or a pretty close facsimile of it), but Vinomaker (the hubby) isn't too keen on it. "Can't you add some garlic," he moans. "No, because then it wouldn't be Scouse," I say. Couldn't do it at all without Thud supplying the Oxo cubes :)