Saturday, June 18, 2016

Pinot grigio peekaboo.

The other day, during a friendly chat, the vineyard manager at TWWIAGE asked me if I had had any problems with fruit set this year. He mentioned to me that he'd noticed that there were a lot of "singles" in the Cabernet sauvignon vines, i.e., one cluster per shoot when there normally would be two. Nope, I hadn't noticed this particular phenomenon in Vinoland.  But then I have mostly been concentrating my suckering/shoot thinning and stuffing efforts in the Pinot grigio and the Syrah blocks.  I will be working in the Cabernet sauvignon tomorrow, so I will have a closer look.
This partial Pinot grigio cluster, caught up in the sinus of a leaf (a mini viticultural-hammock), seems to be following normal morphological progress, as does the entire vine.  There wouldn't be such a thing as a vintage if every growing season was the same.

2 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: Viticulture 101 from professor Vinogirl is free; thank you!
I don't remember you showing a picture quite like this, but I loved the technical terms mini viticultural-hammock and sinus of the leaf!
Good observation delineating vintages!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: No, thank you :)