Thursday, March 02, 2017

World Book Day.

Today is the 20th anniversary of World Book Day: a day designated by UNESCO to celebrate books, authors and reading.
I wanted to celebrate some of my personal favourite wine books which, over the years, I have read again and again.  There is a handful of wine books that I continually return to and use as reference books.  (My list of books dedicated to the topic of viticulture is actually bigger.)  And some I just read for fun.
A special mention, once more, has to be given to the book Wine by Hugh Johnson.  That particular book, a gift when I was 17 years old (thank you, Thud), started my interest in all things wine.  And eventually viticulture. Wine is definitely one of my favourite books of all time, written by my favourite wine writer.  Thanks, Hugh.

4 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: This is part of how one needs to approach enology: knowledge apprenticeship!
If I had a dime for everyone that thought: oh, I can make wine.
This transmuted knowledge that you freely give right here, it is one reason I visit Vinsanity.
Thank you, and thank you Thud!

Thud said...

The pleasures all mine.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: There is no substitute for reading about this subject matter for yourself. Not even Vinsanity :)
BTW, anyone can make wine, but would it be something others would want to drink? Hee, hee.

Thud: Thank you, again!

New Hampshire Wineman said...

VG: I should have drawn the distinction between less than plonk and drinkable wine in the fantasizing of most would be winemakers. A friend dropped of a homemade bottle of Merlot the other day; he paid $15 for it, and I'm afraid to taste it.
The due diligence of reading, but I work a full-time yob, have a blog to attend to, FB that sucks up much of my time, love movies, and I'm a news junkie, oh, and I spend hours in the wine shops; reading books is 'work'.