Friday, June 09, 2017

California quailettes.

It's hard to take a good photograph of a moving target, or targets.  What I initially thought was an army of cavorting frogs, turned out to be covey of, at least, ten baby quail bopping about under the watchful eye of their ever alert dad.  (Two to Mr. Quail's right side, one behind his tail and seven bringing up the rear.)  I got as close as I could, but dad was getting more and more agitated by my presence.  Mum was no where to be seen.
This might have been the little 'uns first time out of the nest: they are tiny. Mr. & Mrs. Quail have been hanging around Vinoland for weeks now, but I couldn't quite work out where they had decided to make their nest.  I know now, so no work in the Syrah block for a while.

3 comments:

New Hampshire Wineman said...

Good ornithological experience!

Thud said...

Daughter number 1 will like this.

Vinogirl said...

NHW: Have seen them a couple of times this past week - they're not much bigger, but they are getting mature feathers now.

Thud: You have a lot of egg/chick goings-on of your own :)