Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Seguin Moreau.

This morning some of my TWWIAGE coworkers and I took a quick field trip to Seguin Moreau Napa Cooperage (SMNC).  I can't believe that I haven't visited a cooperage before today (Vinomaker has visited both SMNC and Demptos).  SMNC don't normally host tours at their Napa facility, however TWWIAGE purchase quite a few barrels from this particular cooperage, so special dispensation was granted.
Visiting SMNC was absolutely fascinating.  I have read plenty about the forests where the oak is grown and harvested; how the timber is aged, exposed to the elements for at least 2 years; the stages of wine-barrel construction and the whole toasting process.  But all that reading did not prepare me for just how interesting it was to witness the entire smoky, aromatic operation in person.
SMNC can produce about 100 barrels a day.  If the process is done entirely by hand SMNC can only make 30 barrels a day: it takes 7 years of making barrels by hand before one can be considered a master cooper.  Brilliant.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally fascinating, totally jealous!

Thud said...

Dennis, don't encourage her....the girl needs to get out of the grape ghetto!

Vinogirl said...

NHW: It was fab. It almost made me want to get a job there. However, working conditions would be a bit warm (toasty, ha, ha) for me.

Thud: I ventured down into the East Bay today and there wasn't a grapevine in sight, so there.